Above you can see on the left is Smiths work and on the right is my response, I tried to capture the same elements Smith did in his photos I did this by taking my 35mm film camera to a skatepark in London where I devoted a day to shooting portraits of people at the skatepark and above is the photo I liked the most and which I thought best represented Smith's work, I tried to include contradictions by having the persons hat as black and the shirt as white, I also changed the photo to black and white in photoshop as well as changing the levels so that the photo came out better and looked sharper.
I then went on to photographing another portrait of one of the skaters sitting down eating an ice lolly, this was also shot on the 35mm camera and I liked the shot because it also resembled Smiths work. I decided not to edit this photo as I think it looked its best as the original, I also included the skaters shoes which are worn out and beaten which is a aspect I wanted to include in this photo. Photo shown below.
After shooting those portraits I continued on developing in portrait shooting, so I set up a photo shoot with my friend and began to shoot. From this shoot I wanted to get a set of photos of my female friend holding a skateboard, now as she is a model it shows the contrast between modelling and skating.
Here is one of the raw images on the left, however I ended up taking three photos all of which I edited in photoshop, two of the three photos I left in colour and just changed the vibrancy and levels and the third photo I changed to black and white as the shadows looked nicer. I really like how these images came out and I may use them for my final images however I'm undecided.
During this week I have managed to select the two images I will be using for the landscape. I just need to get them printed onto a4 and a3. as for the portraits I wanted both images to contrast well together, so I will select them carefully to pick the photos I think sum up my project the best.
I then was out half way through the week when the weather was bad and it was raining, so I went to a skatepark I found and took some shots of the skatepark covered in rain as I thought the rain or weather was the restriction preventing the skaters from skating the ramps. image shown to the left.
I also started to select the final images for my final display, when selecting the images I wanted to pick the strongest images, however I also wanted to pick the images which I thought best summed up my project as a whole. So I got the contact sheets on the images I had shot for the final piece and selected the images I wanted to use. In week 8 I will begin the development of my final images and experiment with a few different edits, I also plan to lay out the images in a gallery format and have two images portrait in a frame contrasting with each other and I then also want to have two landscape images in a frame contrasting with each other.